Friday, October 24, 2008

Freebies - good or bad? - by Lucille Morigi

Please have in mind that this is an opinion of someone who does not make money in sl for a living. Also, someone who hates hunts and never spends more time inworld than exactly needed.
Also, someone who have spent so much real money in sl that is starting to rethink it - why do I need all these stuff? So many skins, hairs, acessoires, etc. Why? To feel accepted?
That makes no sense to me, since second life's acceptance doesn't matter to me at all. If someone doesn't like me - I don't mind - that's her/his right.
*******************************************************************************

I understand that some business owners are worried about the huge amount of freebies given around SL.
Time spent on designing, building, uploading textures, investing on their buisiness X free items given away to people that never come back to the store.

Some of them actually make their living from sl.

Ok, I agree, this is something hard for those who make their living or want to become successful in sl.

I beliebe in good quality freebies- either given in groups or not.

I have returned to the stores sometimes IN FACT only beacuse of freebies.
Ex.: Tuli, Splashing Doll, Minnu Model Skins and Hair yes - Venessa Hair freebie made me go back and purchase more hair there, Chai, MAdesign - I have purchased many eyes from the soul eye line only because I recieved one pair of eyes in group and fell in love with them. I only wear those eyes.
Stitch by Stitch also. I have received gifts from the designer and also purchased items from her.

When I like something - I buy it - if I need it at the moment for some reason.

These are a just some examples. I came back to many more. I was thinking of going to Blowpop - after getting that nekkid skin freebie.

Good quality free items always make me come back for more.

But, I believe in one thing:

Second life is supposed to be exactly what it's name suggests - a SECOND life not a first- much less- a real life for me at least.

Let's agree that we all live in the real world, right?

Therefore, we must eat, drink,wear clothes, do whatever a human being needs to do to survive and that means - PAY BILLS.

Exluding freebies is elitism. Pure and simple. Some people simply don't want to/can't spend real money on sl and who can blame them?

Now I don't think they should go on as noobs, naked,barefoot, bald because of that. No. Let them wear freebies. Why not?

If a business owner is terrified because of freebies, well change the public approach/marketing. That if your money come from sl.


Besides: how much are regular residents willing to spend from real money to dress a doll, build it a house, etc.?

If you say that you live in sl, well, I am so deeply sorry for you - there are much, much more in life than a virtual world, but you are the only one that can make choices.

Unless you have no alternative, real world, real sky, real sun, real people will always be better than a virtual one.

ok links:
Freebies are them for free - Raul Crimsom's blog

Freebie Culture in SL - Ana Lutetia's blog

I can Haz Freebiez by Prad Prathivi

No comments: