Monday, June 9, 2008

The Blogosphere: Communications in the 21st Century

Naomi Finesmith Portrait_3
By Naomi Finesmith

The other day I saw my first article up here… and it hit me. The significance of it. That I, someone who has never really aimed for anything more than mediocrity, have suddenly become heard. Something I typed on a whim and a spark of inspiration, has been read by hundreds, maybe even thousands… It’s a humbling experience.

In modern times, we take so many things for granted. Until wetware becomes practical, the Internet is the end-all be-all of data transfer. In more practical terms, the internet has given voice to millions. Anyone who has anything to say can say it and be heard. Whether people keep listening all depends on how well they say it, but it is a statistical certainty that someone, sooner or later, will stumble upon whatever is written and read it. The world has become a much smaller place, now that the means to reach millions are at your fingertips. Yes. You. The one on the other side of this screen. You’ve got a keyboard just the same as I do, you can write, just like I do. There’s nothing stopping you from doing so.

In the end, it all comes down to a matter of voice. Everyone can whisper, but can you yell it from the rooftops? Anyone can speak to 2 or 3, but can you talk to 2 or 3 thousand? That’s up to you, but if you think you’ve got something others should hear, then it’s your choice, your privilege, to make yourself heard. Welcome to the Blogosphere, we’re glad to have you.


P.S from Anna Avalanche: Yes you are right Naomi. I am glad you wrote another article. I want to extend this invitation to all other readers as well. If you like to give us your impressions about SL feel free to contact me.

No comments: